Thursday, January 04, 2018

The Gift of Life.........

Never will I ever imagined it will came down to this. While I was told that it should be alright for at least 15 years, all it took was 15 months. I was the final stage of renal failure for a couple of months already.....

What has that taught me? Life is all about making choices.....Family is the utmost important aspect in your life....real friends will know when you needed them.

I was still going to work as usual back in October. Riding my bike to work, travelling around for meetings and events. All that with my eGRF lingering below 10. (Anything below 15 is end stage)
I was the lucky few that has the very most important ask from a renal failure patient, I have a DONOR!....

Not only that, I had an appointment penned for 7/11 for the transplant to take place, 5 potential donors from my family actually passed the initial screening test. They all did it out of love for my loud and bad mouth. Papa decided to go ahead with the procedure after discussing with us. Words cannot express how thankful and indebted I am for my father's deed. Not only did he raised me up to the man that I am today, he gave me a piece of himself when I needed it most.

For every surgery, every nights in the ICU, every needles, procedures, follow ups for the past year and a half, this 7 hour long surgery doesn't seemed to bother me much. I'm more concerned if Papa can get back to his Dunhill Lights after the surgery, which he should after a couple of days. On the eve of the surgery, we were both admitted to UM Medical Center.

.
See....I was all ready to go........It could not get any worst than it already has.....

Papa was playing chill with his wifi modem and online entertainment.....


Not sure if it's a good thing, I was kind of used to the needles and equipment in the ICU....

Papa was all in his pink after the surgery.....Thank God......


The surgery went by without any issue......I'm very thankful for that...


PW should be more relieved that I was after what we had been through since April 2016...


On the 4th day, I'm up from the bed. 9 days in the hospital and off to home.....

If you have been on my journey since April 2016, you will understand it when I say that recovering from a kidney transplant is not as challenging as you think. As my diet is not as strict as it was, I'm starting to eat food I've not tasted for a while. To top up to that, I'm working out again. It was a huge part of my life until the eventful day, at this rate, I should be riding my bike in a month or two. Golfing is just months away. In 3 days, it will be T + 60......YAHOOOO........another milestone.

Before the transplant.......
After the transplant.......


I gained 7KGs in less than 2 months....3 more KGs and I'll be back to my old strong self

All these made possible with the relentless support from The Lims. My parents for their support and kind understanding all these while. JieJie and the Gans for coming over so very often, making sure we had everything sorted out. KitKit for supporting the family while I was away. PW for being such a strong pillar in getting me back to where I am.....I could not have done this without all of you.

My company in particular has been remarkable. Giving me time to get back to work TWICE. The team which is like a family to me, has been constantly making sure that I was not swallowing nonsense when I was in the office. They were like these sugar-rushed minions when I tried to eat stuff off the chart. The flexibility and support is something I don't think the other companies can match. #VivaExpedia.

Not forgetting my buddies. A close few would had known how hard it was for me for the past 2 years. They had been the few to walk my journey with me. Their support and contacts have been the icing on the cake.

Finally, the most important of them all....Papa aka my gym buddy for his Gift of Life. 1 kidney each from now on. Thank you.........


No comments: